Saturday, April 2, 2011

Fruit Trees!

We are turning our backyard into an orchard, apparently.  We already have an apple tree, two peach trees, and an almond tree.  Plus there are grape vines and blackberry bushes.  All but the almond tree were put in by the previous owners.  Yesterday I purchased two pear trees, two apricot, and a cherry, along with four blueberry bushes.  The garden will be going in next week.  I'll never have to make a meal come harvest time - the children can harvest their own!
Even more importantly, we'll be learning about preserving.  I've never canned in my life.  But I have dehydrated, and I think that might be healthier.  Either way, I look forward to enjoying the bounties of our own backyard throughout the winter months.
I love the book Laddie by Gene Stratton Porter.  The example of family unity, work ethic, and self-reliance is incredible.  I learn more everytime I read it.

1 comment:

  1. Jen, you are making me miss my fruit trees! I wish I was a more sprightly 8 1/2 months pregnant and could actually plant some.

    I guess we'll just be stopping by your house around harvest time for "pick your own lunches" :)

    I tried canning last year...I prefer dehydrating, and quite frankly, we ate almost everything. My kids LOVE fresh fruit. I know yours do, too. You may not have much to can.

    ReplyDelete