Friday, August 27, 2010

Teaching our Children from the Scriptures

The August Ensign is a treasure for parents who teach their children the gospel.  I especially enjoyed the article by Sister Lant, Teaching Our Children from the Scriptures.

There are a number of good ways to teach children from the scriptures. I’ve found this pattern to be particularly effective after reading a scripture:

1. Clearly identify the doctrine.

2. Help the children understand the doctrine.

3. Help them apply the doctrine to their lives.

4. Encourage them to pray for a witness of the Spirit that what they are learning is true.
That last point has become an area of focus for me, and my family.

I also appreciated the sidebar suggestions from mothers who are teaching their children. 

From my personal experience, I know my children love the scriptures.  The more time we spend in them, the more they love them!  We have been reading Psalms lately, the praising ones.  And what a joy it is!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how I miss the Ensign! We didn't get our August issue because of the move, and won't get our September issue, either. They are lost in the world of mail because I gave Church Magazines the address of the home we didn't end up living in, and by the time I gave them our new address, it was too late to have our Sept issue mailed to our new home! I'm hoping that the people who do get our magazines will open them and be enlightened by them. You never know! In the meantime, I'll have to read Sister Lant's article online. It sounds wonderful. We definitely need to be better about not just reading the scriptures every night as a family--but really learning from them and applying their teachings. It's wonderful to realize, though, that our children are becoming more acquainted with the names of the Prophets and the stories in the scriptures. Last night, we were playing an FHE game and Ingrid threw out the name "Ammonihah" for a prophet! I was stunned. :-) Children really pick up more than we realize, don't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are finally getting the scriptures into us and it's amazing! Children thirst for things of the Spirit so we really need to make sure we are offering it in our homes.

    ReplyDelete